FLEPPC's 25th Annual Symposium
April 5th - 8th, 2010
The Plantation Golf Resort & Spa, Crystal River, Florida
Overview: The 2010 FLEPPC symposium promises to be another thought-provoking meeting with the latest information on a variety of topics related to invasive species in Florida. Here’s a preview of what you can look forward to at the Symposium:
- An array of presentations on the latest technology in invasive species control;
- Information on new worrisome weeds to watch out for;
- Updates on biological control research for Florida invasive plant species;
- The latest on Cooperative Invasive Species Management Areas (CISMAs) throughout Florida
- Hands on workshops related to invasive plant control and monitoring
- Local field trips to evaluate invasive plant management programs and herbicide demonstration plots.
- CEUs will be offered
- …and much more.
Theme: This year’s theme is Changes in Latitude, highlighting the role of invasive species in global climate change and addressing how Florida’s land managers can maintain a positive outlook in light of economic hardships. We hope to cultivate these positive attitudes at our symposium, so please join us in Crystal River.
Dr. Jeffrey Dukes, Assistant Professor, Purdue University
The FLEEPC Board of Directors is pleased to present this year’s keynote speaker, Dr. Jeffrey Dukes, an assistant professor in the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources at Purdue University and Director of the Boston-Area Climate Experiment. Jeff Dukes and his research group seek to address environmental challenges through ecological research and outreach. Their research currently focuses on three themes: understanding how ecosystems respond to climate and atmospheric change, understanding and minimizing the impacts of invasive species on ecosystems, and exploring the ecological consequences of switching our energy supply from fossil fuels to biofuels. Dr. Dukes has a particular interest in understanding how changes in climate and the atmosphere will affect the success and impact of invasive species.